Friday 16 September 2011

Thing 21: Mobile

I don't have a smartphone so I was a little restricted with this Thing. Although I read about it and looked at some of the mobile sites it would have been nice to have been able to use a smartphone and play around with some QR codes.

I definitely agree that it is really important to provide users with mobile accessible sites. It's becoming more and more common for our students to whip out a phone to look something up rather than jumping on a computer. I think that vendors who neglect to provide a mobile accessible webpage are really not looking at the expectations of the end user.

My local public library sends notifications of holds via SMS and I think it is a fantastic way to notify patrons, since not everyone checks their email regularly but almost everyone has a mobile and uses it frequently.

1 comment:

  1. Hi- yes - doing this thing without a smartphone is a little limiting. I am happy for you to come up and see me one friday and I can show you a few things on the smartphone (but I am not at work this friday 23 Sept).
    the m websites do contain small amounts of info- it is not generally the whole website of an organisaiton altho a good mobile website always gives you the option to look at the whole website...

    ReplyDelete