Saturday 10 September 2011

Thing 19 & 20: Twitter

I really feel that a week is definitely not long enough to really get a sense of Twitter. Plus it didn't help that the Twitter week coincided with my holiday to Dubbo and then directly followed a week when I was unwell. So the times that I should have been using and learning twitter, I was struggling for the time.

I agree with some of the other posts that its a nice way to get a short summary of what other libraries are doing. Since its not a tool that has really taken off among our students though I wonder how effective it is? My old workplace used to grapple with this question, especially since tweeting actually takes a bit of time (i.e. forming an idea, or finding a good link).

Did anyone else get a picture of the fail whale frequently with the message "Twitter is over capacity"? Grrrrr that was annoying. I checked out Google and so many users were complaining about it!

I don't think I'll continue tweeting much but I might log in from time to time to check out what other libraries are doing. I think perhaps Twitter's greatest value is in making other libraries aware of the great services ACU provides (after all, other libraries could send us potential new patrons) and in being able to compare what we are doing with what other libraries are offering.

By the way Kate thanks for trying to tweet while you were sick, I think its really impressive that you tweeted as often as you did given the circumstances.

1 comment:

  1. yes the famous fail whale....I even have it as a t-shirt!!
    A week is hard to get a sense, but thank you also for tweeting.
    I view it as another way of communicating. I think we could do it better (and there are not a lot of ACU folk on Twitter and young people don't use twitter that much), but it is quick, so at the moment I really use it to duplicate when I have posted on the blog and put something on FaceBook - it is so quick, and if it means that more people know about our services - then that is great.
    But as for staying in touch- it's brilliant.
    And conferences...I plan on following the NLS5 conference and the ALIAlibtech over the next few weeks, even though I cannot be there....

    ReplyDelete