Friday 15 July 2011

Thing 6: Gathering Google

Google Docs
Has some great features that I can see being really helpful to students and the general public. I really liked that it auto-saves frequently so that document changes are not lost. I can imagine for stressed students this is a very helpful function, plus with the collaborative nature saving time having multiple versions and conversations by email seems like a great idea. I think that it also has great potential since you can see in real time when someone is editing the document. I would use this again, it seemed quite easy to use, especially if you are familiar with Word.

Google Maps
I've been using Google Maps for awhile now. I really like the street view option (great for when I'm looking at accommodation and checking the location, or just need to see where I'm going). I have also used Google Maps frequently to get directions, and work out travel times and distances.

Google Scholar
As a student I used Google Scholar a lot, especially when doing a literature review. In addition to my database searches via the library website I found Google Scholar another source of information. I like that you can search across a large volume of information and for academic students having their university library preferences being set up can aid students to locate a vast array of knowledge that they have not have found otherwise.

1 comment:

  1. Goog post :)
    And I love the way Google Docs is not just docs...spreadsheets, PPT....

    ReplyDelete