Sunday 24 July 2011

Thing 7 and 8: The Time Saving Capabilities of RSS

RSS readers and feeds are certainly helpful for keeping all news and blogs updates in one place. I also like that its a simple procedure for adding an RSS feed (although I too had to do a lot of cutting and pasting, but I assumed that might be because I'm using a Mac). Compared to clicking on five different websites, the RSS feeds are much more streamlined. I've added these to Google Reader.

In terms of using this for my work or personal life, I have added some personal interest RSS feeds including one for library comics and one for PhD comics (yes, I'm a bit of a comics fan :)) So I can see myself using this to check these sites that I would normally click on every now and then. In terms of work I have used RSS feeds at my previous workplace for ideas for the library blog (latest news & especially latest library news) and I also used it for research blogs for the subjects I was responsible for listing the latest information or research.

I think that RSS feeds could really aid librarians to help patrons find the latest research or information on a given topic. There is so much information out there that I think RSS feeds are really useful to us as professionals in helping us keep up with our favourite blogs, news etc, and in turn our up-to-date knowledge of various topics can only benefit the patrons.

1 comment:

  1. Well done. And of course RSS is great because the feeds come to you!!

    ReplyDelete