Wednesday 29 June 2011

Thing 5: The World of Wikis

My first experience with wikis was a library science student. Our assessment task was to create an e-portfolio using a wiki. Since my degree was entirely by correspondence the wiki was also used as a collaborative tool to bring students together to meet in the virtual world. I think that wikis definitely have potential for educational tools.

I think that wikis can be an amazing resource for users. For example ALIA have a wiki for special libraries available from here

My previous workplace liked the idea of wikis, especially since it was a multi campus university and a wiki would enable everyone to be on the same page; one of the challenges though I think for libraries is dedicating staff resources and time to these tools. Although my previous workplace liked the idea of a wiki they were unwilling to allow for staff resources to continually update such a tool.

Have wikis had their day? I think that wikis are still being widely used and have been embraced as educational collaborative tools. I think like all technological tools the creators need to maintain the innovative thinking that made them so popular in the first place, in order to remain relevant as time goes on.

4 comments:

  1. Good post, and the whole idea of wikis is the collaboration and they are only really useful if updated? Good for a discrete project? or procedures?
    Although not so much talked about now, they do seem to have people who still use and like them, and there are still some great wikis around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, they have their place. But, of course, such a basic tool will morph into something else, or, even more inevitably, be overtaken by some new whizz-bang piece of software. Hmmm, does anybody use EverNote anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and nice touch with the Wikipedia logo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the look of your blog. Awesome:) M

    ReplyDelete