Friday 15 June 2012

Have a Desperate Need for a Library at 3am? Sydney will soon have you covered!

Now this concept is interesting. Sydney is considering a 24 hour library. This is all part of Sydney's plan to increase the night time economy.

My first reaction was "oh those poor staff members having to work those late night hours!" and my next was "I wonder how many homeless people will take advantage of that in winter" and who could blame them, winter is brutal.

The more I think about it, the less I think it will be patronised all that often to make hiring the staff financially viable. At the library I work in we close at 9pm and it's very quiet in the evenings, particularly after 8pm. I also can't really imagine the crowds who are out that late being frequent library visitors either. I can see a number of students taking advantage and doing assignments at the last minute, but they don't study all year long.

You can read the news article here

1 comment:

  1. My university library was open until 11.59pm (why not midnight? no idea) in the weeks leading up to final exams, and 9.30pm regularly during the semester. It did get some use, but I can't see a 24/7/365 thing working, for the same reasons you mentioned. Although I'd probably enjoy the midnight shift - I'm a night owl and just think of how much blog reading you could do during that time. :P

    ReplyDelete